Panel: Social Annotation in STEM
1–2:30pm ET, Friday 25 June 2021
You might imagine science, technology, math, and engineering learning all happens in labs or chalkboarding equations, but reading is fundamental in every discipline. Hear how educators are using social annotation to enable student reading, writing, critical thinking, and community in STEM classes. The panel will be moderated by Nate Angell, and feature speakers Karen Cangialosi and Clarissa Sorensen-Unruh.
- Karen Cangialosi: Karen Cangialosi (she/her @karencang) is the Program Director for the Regional Leaders of Open Education Network, a program sponsored by Open Education Global and the Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources. As a dedicated faculty member in biology and student advocate for many years, Karen has gained national recognition for leadership in Open Education, STEM education, faculty development, innovative and digital pedagogies, and authentic "student-centered" learning. Karen also serves as the Director of Open Education & Open Science for RIOS (the Institute for Racially Just, Inclusive and Open STEM) which grew out of the work of the SCORE network (Sustainability Challenges for OER to promote an Equitable Undergraduate Biology Education). As the TCI team coordinator for Reefcheck International, Karen established and continues to collect data for a coral reef monitoring program in the Turks and Caicos Islands, contributes to an open international database, and runs a Reef Education program for young student residents of Providenciales, TCI. Karen's research has involved the behavioral ecology of spiders, particularly the evolution of social behavior and the ways in which multiple factors influence foraging complexity in a web-invading, sometimes kleptoparasitic, spider.
- Clarissa Sorensen-Unruh, Chemistry Faculty, Central New Mexico Community College: Since 2002, Clarissa (Rissa) Sorensen-Unruh (they/them @RissaChem) is on the Chemistry faculty @CNMsuncats in Albuquerque, NM. They are earning their Learning Sciences PhD @UNM. Their #STEMEd research blends practitioner, researcher, and evaluator roles and focuses on assessment and evaluation, specifically #Ungrading and ethics in #EdTech and assessment, using mixed-methods methodologies. They regularly serve as faculty for @DigPedLab and in several roles in the @AmerChemSociety.
- Moderator: Nate Angell, Director of Marketing, Hypothesis: Nate Angell (he/him @xolotl) is an evangelist who connects people, ideas, and technologies to make things better, now at Hypothesis, the mission-driven organization that stewards open, standards-based annotation technologies and practices. He has worked across a wide variety of public and private institutions, focusing on community development, digital communications, meaningful education, open technologies, and sustainable growth. Nate lives in Portland, Oregon USA with some other cats and humans.
You can also annotate the transcript of this video while watching.
- Resources shared in session chat:
- Pedagogies of care: https://blog.mahabali.me/educational-technology-2/pedagogy-of-care-covid-19-edition/
- Critical Pedagogy and STEM: https://youtu.be/tU3gR7btkvM
- Open Science: https://youtu.be/IJao5tRFUBc
- Open Science MOOC: https://opensciencemooc.eu/
- Adoption and Impact of OER in the Global South: https://www.idrc.ca/en/book/adoption-and-impact-oer-global-south
- Heather Miceli's tweet on student confidence and the thread that follows: https://twitter.com/hsmiceli/status/1408246477735010313
- The Zone of Proximal Development and Scaffolding: https://www.simplypsychology.org/Zone-of-Proximal-Development.html
- Taking on the whole idea of publication as scholarship:
- Caulfield's SIFT methodology: https://sfdora.org/read/
- AAAS Science in the Classroom: https://www.scienceintheclassroom.org/
- Principles for Ethical Use of Personalized Student Data: https://ous.athabascau.ca/policy/academic/Principles_for_Ethical_Use_Personalized_Student_Data.pdf
- Frances Arnold's tweet about retracting papers: https://twitter.com/francesarnold/status/1212796266494607360